1. Always be on time. For new cases or as a fill-in worker, plan to be 30 minutes earlier. Find, review and sign in on the Care Plan Book. Call the office if you cannot locate the Care Plan Book or if you have questions about the contents of the book or the care plan.
2. Wear your name tag.
3. All calls need to come through the office. Do not give out your home/ personal phone number. Remember that the client, the clients’ family members, and your family members should call the main office number for a change in their service, to request more service, to inquire about new business or to reach you on another job. We will contact you if an emergency should occur. Do not contact the client when you are not on duty. The office staff will contact the client and/ or their family; if necessary. Any concerns regarding the client’s health or condition should be directed to the care planner, who will then take any necessary action.
4. Your family members and friends are not allowed on your work site.
5. Do not discuss personal/business problems with the client.
6. Do not discuss company issues with the client; such as, your pay rate, evaluations, etc.
7. Dress neatly and be clean. Wear uniform-like clothing unless the client asks you to wear something else. Never wear jeans, shorts, or sweat pants. Always wear closed toed shoes. Scrubs are recommended; unless, you are working in an assisted living facility or other senior living community.
8. Always maintain a professional attitude. Be kind and courteous; remember, you are in the client's private home.
9. Call the office once a day when assigned a new job to report on the condition and status of the job, and once a week after that to report on your client’s condition and status of a job.
10. Always call in schedule and mileage changes no later than the day of service.
11. Call the office staff twenty-four (24) hours in advance to cancel a daily job. Call the office staff forty-eight (48) hours in advance to cancel a live-in job. The office phone is always answered. The office will notify the client.
12. Call the office weekly to let them know when you are available, if you are not scheduled for work, or want more hours.
13. Leave the client's home cleaner than you found it.
14. Always get permission to smoke and ask where the best place would be for you to smoke. NEVER SMOKE INSIDE YOUR CLIENTS’ HOME. Empty and clean all ashtrays, as they are used. 1
15. Whenever transporting a client in a car; wear a seat belt and insist that the client wear his/ her seat belt as well. Call the office if the client refuses to do so. (Only employees with approved insurance coverage and written authorization can transport clients.) NEVER USE YOUR CELL PHONE FOR CALLS, TEXTING, OR EMAILS WHILE DRIVING YOUR CLIENT.
16. Do not ride as a passenger, if your client is the driver.
17. You will not be sent alone to cases requiring total lifting. Do not attempt to lift a client who requires total lifting. If there is a significant change in the amount of lifting required on your job, notify the office so that we can take immediate action. If you are assigned to a client who requires lifting or transfer assistance and you are not willing or capable of SAFELY performing the lift or transfer, DO NOT ATTEMPT THE LIFT OR TRANSFER, call the office immediately for instructions.
18. Only use an electric shaver to shave a client and never clip or cut a client’s finger nails or toe nails.
19. Report any gifts to the office immediately. Never accept a gift unless you have cleared the matter with the office. NEVER accept cash or checks made out to you from a client.
20. Check with the office when shopping for a client. Never accept cash or have a check made out in your name for shopping. Use the expense record in the Care Plan Book. Never buy alcohol for a client. As a rule, caregivers do not pour alcohol for the client. If the client’s family or the care planner asks for this service, we will consider it on a case by case basis.
21. Do not report to work while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Do not consume drugs or alcohol while on duty with your client. These are grounds for immediate termination of employment with CIVILITY HOME CARE.
22. Do not use your client’s telephone for personal calls.
23. Ask client before changing the television or radio station. Do not order pay per view television without permission from the client. Report to the office any client requested pay per view orders including the event to be ordered.
24. Do not rearrange client’s furniture, kitchen items, or personal belongings.
25. Report any personal injury while on duty to the office immediately 845-278-1727 but no later than twenty-four (24) hours after the injury occurs.
By signing you agree that you have read and understand the above rules set by CIVILITY HOME CARE.